Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Had A Big Day Off

I tell you: every sentence starts with I.

I woke up at 9 and went on my computer. I felt bad from the night before. I listened to "Killing the Blues" 20-30 times in a row. I ate a bowl of honey nut cheerios. I made a dvd. I thought about reading. I made myself a sandwich. I went outside to play basketball, but the courts were still covered in snow. I stared at them for a while and tried to hatch a plan. I walked around industrial Bushwick, looking inside mechanic shops. I stepped into the garage at Little Man Auto Body and Truck Repair four blocks from home. I spoke with the Hispanic man about a metal shovel that looked unused. I also spotted a push broom. I convinced him to let me borrow them. I left my basketball and water bottle as collateral, though the water bottle wasn't necessary. I walked back to the courts. I spent the next hour shoveling one half of the court. I used the push broom to get rid of the excess water. I considered that this is what people do when they have ennui. I wished for my water bottle. I finished and returned the equipment and got my ball and water back. I tried to play but it was still a little wet. Nothing is absolute. I just shot free throws. I went back in after a half hour or so. I listened to "Killing the Blues" a couple more times. I read a book that documents book-banning incidents in America. I opened the windows because I thought the apartment smelled smoky. I imagined a short story where boys at a school force the innocent child of book-banning parents to sit in a classroom at lunch and listen to them read the book in question. I went back outside to play basketball before it got dark. I told a black kid how to hop the fence because it was after five o'clock. I shot with him until it was dark. I asked about his life, and he claimed to be the MVP of the NYC Private School Athletic Association as a sophomore. I didn't necessarily believe him, but he was very good. I googled him this morning, and it turns out he is a good player for the JV team, but not Varsity. I went in and had missed calls to meet a friend for dinner. I took a shower. I read more of the book-banning book. I went and bought lunch meat and wheat bread at the organic grocery store. I thought about watching The Wire or a netflix movie. I chose to read a different book, 1919. I messed around on the computer until midnight. I went to bed and slept well.

I had a big day off.

No comments: