Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Quest for the Weekend Triple

The Weekend Triple has eluded me up to now.


The Weekend Triple:

Successful completion, without resorting to any source but my own brain, of the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday New York Times crossword puzzles.

Last weekend was a fruitless effort. Friday found me dazed and weary, and I couldn't crack the southeast corner. On Saturday I rushed out to a strong beginning, got overconfident, and neglected to check my work. One letter was incorrect, a silly mistake. Sunday, with nothing to play for, difficult filler resulted in four wrong letters, a terrible result.

However, I've been knocking on the door for some time. I recently finished the Saturday-Sunday double, and the Friday-Sunday double. It's only a matter of time before the glorious triple is mine.

For context, the Times puzzle gets harder as the week goes on. Monday is the easiest puzzle, and Saturday is the hardest. The Sunday puzzle is larger, but the difficulty level is consistent with a Thursday puzzle. Only the increased volume makes it a touch testier than Thursday. Therefore, Friday and Saturday are the biggest hurdles, and, last weekend notwithstanding, Sunday is usually the easiest of the three.

No comments: